Ayurveda is a traditional system of medicine that has been used in India for thousands of years. It emphasizes the use of natural remedies and holistic approaches to promote health and well-being. Ayurvedic hair care involves using natural ingredients and techniques to promote healthy hair, help prevent hair loss, and improve the overall health and appearance of your hair.
Interested in giving it a try for yourself? Here are a few easy techniques to test out.
9 Tested Hair Tips using Ayurveda
- Oiling: Ayurvedic practitioners recommend oiling your hair and scalp regularly to keep it moisturized and nourished. Natural oils such as coconut, almond, sesame, or castor oil, which are rich in nutrients and can penetrate the hair shaft to nourish it from the inside out.
- Scalp massage: Scalp massage can help to improve circulation, stimulate hair growth, and reduce stress and tension in the scalp. You can use room temperature or warm natural oil to massage your scalp gently in a circular motions for 5-10 minutes before washing your hair.
- Avoiding heat styling: Avoiding heat styling tools such as flat irons and curling irons on a regular basis is a good idea. And even air drying or reducing the heat on hair dryers can help. Overtime these tools can damage your hair and cause breakage. Instead, try towel drying and leaving your hair naturally curly or using braids, pony tails, or twists.
- Herbal rinses: Herbal rinses can help to nourish your hair, prevent dandruff and other scalp conditions. Some common herbs used in Ayurvedic hair rinses include amla, shikakai, brahmi, neem, and henna.
- Ayurvedic hair masks: Hair masks can nourish and strengthen your hair and help prevent hair loss. Some common hair mask ingredients include fenugreek, aloe vera, yogurt, honey, and coconut milk.
- Using a natural wood comb: Ayurvedic practitioners recommend using a wide-toothed wooden comb to gently detangle hair and distribute natural oils throughout your strands. This can help to prevent breakage and reduce static.
- Avoiding harsh chemicals: Avoiding harsh chemicals such as sulfates, parabens, and synthetic fragrances, which can strip your hair of its natural oils and cause damage. Instead, use natural hair care products that are free from harmful chemicals.
Overall, Ayurvedic hair care practices emphasize the use of natural ingredients and gentle techniques to help promote healthy hair, moisturize, and to improve the overall appearance of your locks. Simple things like oiling and massaging your hair and scalp, putting away the flat iron, and using a wooden comb are some quick, simple things you can immediately put into practice to make a dramatic difference with your hair.