As I’ve gotten older, I’ve noticed that my hair can get a little frizzy and dry. I was recently introduced to the concept of oil rinsing my hair. It sounded so strange but I now do it once a week. I enjoy experimenting with how much shampoo, oil, and conditioner to use for my hair. Depending on your hair type, porosity, and thickness, you can create the ideal combination that works for you.
What is Oil Rinsing?
If you haven’t heard of oil rinsing yet it’s basically adding hair oil to your wash day routine. Oil is added to your hair in the shower after you shampoo it. I prefer natural hair oils like coconut, avocado, sunflower seed, or almond oil, etc. This isn’t your usual wash and go hair routine because it takes more time than you think. It’s more for a self-care day routine but don’t let that stop you. I encourage you to give it a try the next time you wash your hair. #doitalready
Here is a another article on oil rinsing from Naturally Curly: Oil Rinse article
Why Oil Rinse?
Oil rinsing will help add more moisture and reduce frizz and flyaways while adding some definition to your hair.
- Add Moisture: Wet hair and oil are a good thing. I promise! Ha-ha. Oil + Hair + Water = Oil rinsing! It’s a great combination to lock in moisture for your hair.
- Help Dry/Frizzy/Curly Hair: Oil rinsing can address common hair problems. It adds moisture, shine, and smoothes hair. Who wouldn’t love that?!
- Reduce Split ends: Natural oils (like coconut oil, sunflower seed oil, olive oil, etc.) are a way of moisturizing your hair, which helps stop split ends.
How To Oil Rinse Your Hair?
- Shampoo and rinse your hair.
- Coat your scalp and hair with a natural hair oil. Wait at least 5 minutes. Rinse the oil out of your hair.
- Lastly, add conditioner to your hair and wash out.
In the busyness of life, we can forget to make our hair health a priority but by adding oil rinsing to your regular wash routine it’s an easy way to increase your hair’s natural beauty. (TIP: I recommend you use a mild, sulfate-free shampoo so you don’t remove all your natural hair oils.)
As always, if you have any questions or comments feel free to email me personally at [email protected]. I will respond to you. 😊